Friday, December 07, 2007

Much grovelling on my part for vanishing from blogdom, but I hope you might find that the reason why is a jolly good one.

I have been a pale shade of green for three months now. From dawn to dust (not exaggerating) a relentless cycle of throw up, get the shakes, lie prostrate, fall asleep, and wake up in time to do it all again. Every two hours. I have become best friends with my toilet bowl and developed an overly sensitive sense of smell (even my beloved coffee is foul on the nose)... As you may have guessed, I am pregnant! Four and a half months along now, and the nausea finally subsided last week, and this week I actually feel "normal" again.

Considering how often I've been prostrate of late, you'd think I'd have read my way right through my entire To Be Read pile by now. Not so, however, instead I've felt so poorly that they've gathered even more dust, along with the rest of the house. But I have read some, at least, and now that I feel well again, hope to post on all things bookish and African as usual.

I promise not to turn this blog into Mother & Baby central, but I'll undoubtedly be unable to restrain myself from time to time. Like yesterday - I had a midwife appointment (a male midwife-in-training also present - how cool is that?!) and for the first time I heard the baby's heart thundering along like a little racehorse - thrilling!

9 Comments:

Blogger litlove said...

Can't possibly think of a better excuse! Congratulations! And mostly, congratulations for having got over that first, ghastly bit. The middle stages can be absolutely lovely, so hang on in there and take extra good care of yourself.

9:20 am  
Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

SO pleased to read that it is all going so well -- agree with Litlove, from my experience, it is much better after the first 3 months. (After 9 months, though, there are challenges ;-) )

3:21 pm  
Blogger kimbofo said...

Welcome back!! And congratulations! Wonderful news.

kimbofo

11:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! You're back! We have missed you so.

1:54 am  
Blogger Elaine said...

many many congratulations - I remember those first three months well but from now on you will GLOW. Please do talk about it all, I have spent the last year talking about my daughter's wedding (tookplace last week check out the blog!!) so I shall be delighted to hear a month by month report.

4:20 pm  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Oh, congratulations Equiano!!
As the others have said, the middle months are the blooming ones, so enjoy them!

6:50 pm  
Blogger Danielle said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly, but congratulations--how exciting! I hope the nausea stops soon!

9:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your news. I'm so very very pleased about the pregnancy, that is, not the 'every shade of green'. Congratulations

9:14 pm  
Blogger equiano said...

Thank you all so much for the kind words and enthusiasm. Makes me feel marginally less guilty about falling off the blogging wagon during the queasy bit!

11:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home