Saturday, March 03, 2007

I am in Australia! Sydney to be precise. We are here as the surprise present for the 75th birthday celebrations of the giri's father. Festivities begin tomorrow and we are in hiding until then, having arrived yesterday after 23 hours en route, flying via Kuala Lumpur. While I am delighted to be here, I look forward to arriving home and staying home for a while. I am clearly a landlubber.

We flew Malaysian Airlines (good legroom, quite tasty food, and reasonable selection of tv, movies and games): new features I'd never seen before on an airline included a prayer room on board (Malaysia of course, is a muslim country) and audiobooks should you not be a movie sort; these included Sewell's BLACK BEAUTY and Peter Carey's MY LIFE AS A FAKE. The giri of course had his own personal audio version (moi of course) as we continued with poor old Harry Potter's travails - it is a humdinger of a book to carry around while travelling, but needs must...!

5 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

I love Sydney - I think the opera house and the Harbour are simply stunning. Wave to the Harbour Bridge for me and have a great time

9:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is some obscure law of the universe that says the thickness of the book you are currently reading varies in direct proportion to the inconvenience of the place in which you are trying to read it. I fall foul of this law constantly.

Have a lovely trip.

9:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found that the text of most books can be located online. Copy it onto a handheld, and you're away: lighter, and holds more books.

Of course, you lose the tactile pleasure of turning pages, but it works better than you might think.

If it's Harry Potter 6 you're reading, save yourself hours of life and sanity by simply reading the first and last chapters. Notice how it doesn't feel like you missed anything? You didn't.

8:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you to be in Australia! Of course it has taken me so long to leave my comment, maybe you are already back home! :)

8:22 pm  
Blogger equiano said...

Elaine - I did! We shared a meal with friends twice on circular quay; the nighttime views in particular across the water from The Rocks are staggering.

Thank you Ann, we had a great time. Persevered with the tome, much to the amusement of several other passengers! We read really quietly, I promise - usually softer than normal converstaions around us - just in case anyone was wondering whether we regale the entire plane and departure lounge!

Ouch, David, re HP6! Actually we're still on HP5, and relieved to find that for the first time in one of her books she's actually just getting on with the story rather than spending the first part of the book reminding readers what happened in the previous book (less face it, we all know). Good idea about the handheld, but as you know I am not technologically advanced, and in any case prefer paper!

Thanks, Danielle - just got back, so your comment beat me home. We had a great time.

9:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home