Friday, February 23, 2007

This story was just too marvellous to pass up sharing, so thank you musical Dave for the following account; I especially like the bookish touch at the end:
We babysat last night. He had three baths (he loves the bath). Then he decided it would be hilarious to empty an entire bag of carpet freshener around the room - cos it is all powdery and exciting, right?
And then, at 7:00 (bedtime), "Ready for bed?"
"No no no no no no no."
So we start to lead him upstairs. Cue cadenza.
"I want my daddy. I want my daddy."
Real, huge tears rolling down his cheeks, traumatised by his parents not being home. We empathise. We explain that his doting parents are out for the evening, but are coming back because they love him a great deal. Cadenza continues.
"I want Toy Story 2 wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".
Validity of cadenza analysed, found lacking. Eventually we capitulate and watch The Little Mermaid (this is a Disney household). When it was over, we had a repeat performance of the cadenza, but our hearts were hardened by now. "DADAAAAAAAAAAA! want my DADAAAAAAAAAA!" (you know, the dude that falls for this shit usually) (We continue to prevent him leaving the bed, stroking his hair, singing soft songs etc)
"TOY STORRRRYYYYYYYY aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh"(see above)
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH book want story aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
Which we can do. So we read books.
And a mere hour later he passes out. Result!

And you want one of these? Why?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah - but I don't expect Dada would have fallen for the S**t. Dada's and Mama's usually know when they are being played and ignore them. Dan pulled this one last week in the middle of the night and there was no hair stroking etc just a lot of parental hiding heads under pillows until he realised that no one was going to talk to him until morning! Tuesdays are now good if you still fancy lunch!

Suze

7:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I'd previewed that before I posted - an appalling and uneducated abuse of apostrophe! I do apologise. S

7:02 pm  
Blogger equiano said...

Dear Suze - you have the parental advantage of being able to be brutal - the babysitter always feels a twinge of guilt and wonders "would the parents allow this?!(Silent cursing)"

12:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home