Thursday, May 31, 2007

Today I'm off to Hay-on-Wye with the lovely Francofinn (who has a couple of days headstart on me). This will be my first Hay Festival. Some press reports (the Independent website has been down all day, but they had a particularly critical one) explore how it is all going downhill and commercialized. Since I've never been, this sounds disappointing, but I am keeping an open mind for the time being.

Among others, I have tickets to hear the following wonderful line-up: Terry Eagleton, Helon Habila, Ngugi wa Thiong'o, Wangari Maathai, Fergal Keane, Doris Lessing, Ishmael Beah, Dinaw Mengestu and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I don't really care what else they try and flog me, I'm just looking forward to hearing some seriously talented writers.

Given that I'm not entirely sure about my internet access in lovely Wales, posting may be erratic, but more anon!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you!! Looking gorward to hearing more about your adventures!

5:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to visit the Hay-on-Wye festival but have never been. Looking forward very much indeed to your reports on it!

9:16 am  
Blogger Elaine said...

Hay is one of those places I simply HAVE to visit. Not necessarily the festival but just to go one weekend and just look at all those bookshops.

I am going to do it, I know I am
Elaine

4:59 pm  
Blogger equiano said...

Danielle & Litlove, you may be sick of Hay reports once I finish writing all this up! It was fab, I must say.

Elaine, you must indeed go to Hay-on-Wye. The festival was great and I'm so glad I went, but I think you'd love it the rest of the time too - with 30+ bookshops, how could you go wrong?!

9:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home