Thursday, December 14, 2006

The giri is treating me to a belated birthday treat away - a weekend at my favourite restaurant-with-rooms.

We are driving, and I always read to him in the car (a personal "book on tape"!); we've just finished the last in Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy, THE AMBER SPYGLASS. For this trip we're starting J.K. Rowling's HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX, with the aim of finishing it before the film comes out next year.

For personal reading I'm taking along William Trevor's THE STORY OF LUCY GAULT, as the setting of the book is perfect for this trip.

Another clue as to which country we're headed for? Seamus Heaney declined inclusion in an anthology of British poets some decades ago (reported in this article), with some delightful lines:
My passport's green.
No glass of ours was ever raised
To toast The Queen
Any guesses?!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca H. said...

Have a great time!

1:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ireland?
Happy belated birthday.
I am reading the Pullman trilogy (finally) and adoring it.

10:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't say if you enjoyed the Pullman, I'd like to know. I envy you being able to read while you're travelling. Have a god break.

2:34 pm  
Blogger equiano said...

Thanks Dorothy, I'm so enjoying myself!

Maxine, you're spot on, Ireland it is. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Pullman when you're done.

Ann, don't know what I'd do if I couldn't read in the car (aaargh!) as it is such a shared pleasurable experience. Since you're interested, I'll blog about Pullman shortly (both a thumbs up and a thumbs down, just to confuse things!)

8:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home