Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Monday night took the train up to London for our non-fiction reading group. The fiction group has been meeting for over a year now, but this was the first meeting of the non-fiction group - just three of us showed up. But hey, small is beautiful, right?! Excellent folks. Book chosen was very inspiring, if practical: THE GREEN BELT MOVEMENT: Sharing the Approach & the Experience by Wangari Maathai, winner of the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize. Definitely an awe-inspiring lady - her achievements are legend. Made me want to go out and plant another tree. Since we have cherry and apricot trees arriving next month to join the apple trees in our garden, I won't have that long to wait!


OK, now I feel terrible. The latest headline reads "Man Shot by Cheney Suffers Heart Attack"! This is not what I wish for my writer (even though his manuscript is mind-numbingly boring). Given the large number of people who are keen to have books published, how does this sort of stuff get accepted?! Big words do not equal intelligence. And I can't stand writers who make their arguments so convoluted that you need an hour to decipher a sentence. Frankly, it makes me suspicious that he doesn't actually know what he is talking about. Oh for simplicity.

Woe is me - I am stuck home with the flu. Blocked nose. Clogged head. Gunky eyes. Blech.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home