Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thanks to Ex Libris for drawing my attention to an Africa Reading Challenge being hosted over on Siphoning Off a Few Thoughts. Admittedly, this is the area in which I tend to focus most of my reading anyway, but I'm only too happy to sign up - it will force me to pay a little more attention to some of the titles in my TBR pile that have come my way over the past year. I've chosen (as always, descriptions taken from cover blurbs):

AUTUMN QUAIL - Naguib Mahfouz (Egypt)
...a tale of moral responsibility, alienation, and political downfall featuring a corrupt young bureaucrat, Isa ad-Dabbagh, who is one of the early victims of the purge after the 1952 Revolution in Egypt. The conflict between his emotional instincts and his gradual intellectual acceptance of the Revolution forms the framework for a remarkable portrait of the clash between past and present...

BURN MY HEART - Beverley Naidoo (South African author/Kenyan setting)
Two boys living on the same Kenyan farm but they share an uneasy friendship. They live in a time when white and black means rich and poor - and a secret society, called the Mau Mau, want their land and freedom back.

COCONUT - Kopano Matlwa (South Africa)
...about growing up black in white suburbs, where the cost of fitting in can be your very identity...

MARU - Bessie Head (South African author/Botswanan setting)
Margaret Cadmore, an orphaned Basarwa girl, comes to Dilepe to teach, only to discover that in this remote Botswanan village her own people are treated as outcasts. Her presence divides the village...

MY MERCEDES IS BIGGER THAN YOURS - Nkem Nwankwo (Nigeria)
Onuma returns to his village after fifteen years. He makes a big hit, especially with the girls, in a Jaguar the colour of gold...

THE SUNS OF INDEPENDENCE - Ahmadou Kourouma (Cote d'Ivoire)
Fama is the last of the Dumbuya, the ruling dynasty of Horodugu. The colonial era deprived him of the chiefdom; the 'suns of independence' have reduced him to living on alms, and the toil of his much-enduring wife Salimata, in the teeming capital city of the Ebony Coast.

Go on over and sign up for the Africa Reading Challenge yourself - you know you want to!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Logophile said...

What a fantastic list! I've been meaning to read Mahfouz for a while but the other authors are new to me. I'm looking forward to your reviews. And what a great blog you have, reading through it makes me want to read so many of the books!

11:26 am  
Blogger Sharon said...

You're welcome! Your list sounds really interesting. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with most of the authors (except Mahfouz), but that's what I love about challenges - discovering new-to-me authors and titles to put on the TBR pile :) Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

5:35 pm  
Blogger equiano said...

Welcome Logophile! I look forward to following your Africa Reading Challenge experience. Thank you for the nice remarks too (blush). Actually, I just write about what I like (don't we all?!)

Ex Libris, thanks again, as I probably would have missed out on this challenge entirely if you hadn't mentioned it. Any pointy stick to make me read more of my TBR pile is a good thing! Hope you have a good experience with it too.

12:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home