Friday, April 27, 2007

Oh woe is me! My head really hurts...I am making friends with my hot water bottle and the echinacea. So, another poem for sustenance:
LIFE'S GIFTS - Olive Schreiner, 1855-1920, South Africa

I saw a woman sleeping. In her sleep she dreamt Life stood before her, and held in each hand a gift - in the one Love, in the other Freedom. And she said to the woman, 'Choose!'

And the woman waited long: and she said 'Freedom!'

And Life said, 'Thou hast well chosen. If thou hadst said, "Love," I would have given thee that thou didst ask for; and I would have gone from thee, and returned to thee no more. Now, the day will come when I shall return. In that day I shall bear both gifts in one hand.'

I heard the woman laugh in her sleep.
(Published posthumously, 1923)
from THE NEW CENTURY OF SOUTH AFRICAN POETRY edited by Michael Chapman.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! Are you feeling better yet? Thanks for the poem...Tristan and I were talking about it at work yesterday.
Did you get my email about Wole Soyinka?

8:56 pm  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Get well soon!

9:44 pm  
Blogger The Traveller said...

Wonderful poem - it is being copied into my little book of poetry I carry around with me! I hope you feel better soon - fennel and lavender are very good for headaches, so if you have a Lush store near you, get yourself a Golden Slumbers bath bomb to sit in a bath with! (If you've never heard of Lush check out www.lush.com)

9:43 am  
Blogger equiano said...

Thank you all for your kind get well wishes - am definitely on the mend now.

Francofinn - yes, yes, yes (please) to Soyinka!

Karen, welcome to my blog. Make yourself at home. Everyone else should go and see her lovely photographs...

Traveller - the Canterbury lush store closed years ago (not sure why) but that sounds lovely. I may have to resort to picking my own lavender from the garden and infusing in my bath instead!

8:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home